Natural Tips to Keep Black Hair Healthy and Pigment
About 70% of the world’s population has black hair with different variations and colour tones. But what makes black hair black?
Our hair’s colour is determined by the melanin that is made by cells called melanocytes. Therefore, two types of melanin play significant roles in our hair colour. The first type is called eumelanin( black and brown hair pigments). The second is called pheomelanin (yellow and red hair pigments). Thus the amount of melanin determines how dark your hair can be. The more eumelanin, the darker your hair would be.
What changes hair pigment genes?
Naturally, we’re born with a certain hair colour, but this colour can change with hormonal changes such as puberty, age, nutrition, chemical products, and the sun.
we have four hair types or categories of hair
How to keep natural black hair pigmented and healthy?
Thousands of people around the world have the most striking natural black hair, especially in Asia. To keep your black hair healthy and well-pigmented you need to establish the right hair routine that gives your hair life.
Here are the most useful care tips to keep your hair black and healthy.
- Don’t overwash your hair because it leads to dryness and brittleness. Because washing your hair frequently will make your hair colour fade and lead to breakages. It’s better to wash your hair once or twice a week.
- Wash your hair with warm water instead of hot water to maintain a bright healthy colour.
- Make hot oil treatments once a week to reinforce your hair and scalp and prevent breakages.
- Massage your hair regularly to stimulate blood circulation and boost hair growth.
- Don’t comb your hair when it’s soaking wet because it’s weaker and more susceptible to breakages.
- Don’t expose your hair to the sun for a long time.
- Avoid washing your hair with shampoos that contain paraben and sulfates.
- Take nutritional supplements like vitamin E and fish oil to prevent fragility and hair loss.
- Drink water to keep your hair well-moisturized.
Natural Ingredients that Reinforce Black Hair Color
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is rich in saturated fatty acids and vitamins E and K. It’s beneficial to prevent hair loss and premature greying of hair. It moisturizes and penetrates hair follicles and keeps them stronger.
Applying coconut oil on wet or dry hair allows the hair to prevent breakages and helps you grow your hair longer and even shinier.
2. Olive oil
Using olive oil for your hair care routine have also other awesome benefits for your hair.
Possible benefits include:
A. Condition and speed up the growth process as it is rich in vitamin E and antioxidants.
B. It moisturizes and prevents frizz hair.
3. Shea Butter
Black hair lacks moisture and shea butter is rich in vitamins and fatty acids that penetrate hair strands and keep them well from heat damage.
Another benefit of shea butter is that it protects hair from the harmful effects of sun damage and absorbs UVB radiation.
4. Argan Oil
Argan oil has been used for centuries to soothe dry itchy scalps or dandruff. Also, It has a high proportion of vitamin E, fatty acids, and antioxidants that soften the hair and mend split ends. The antioxidants in Argan oil protect your hair colour and reinforce its pigmentation.
Caffeine in coffee stimulates hair growth and treats hair loss by improving hair roots and strengthening hair follicles. It is also used as a mask to colour black or brown hair.
6. Black Tea
Black tea is rich in caffeine that blocks the hormone DHT or Dihydrotestosterone which is responsible for hair loss and baldness in both men and women. Black tea rinse was used a million years ago as a popular remedy for hair care.
Possible benefits of black tea rinse include:
- It stimulates hair growth as it is packed with rich nutrients and antioxidants that boost hair growth and increase blood flow.
- Black tea rinse enhances black hair colour.
- Strengthens hair follicles.
- Tea rinse will make your hair shinier and smoother.
Henna is a popular beauty ingredient in India, the Middle East, and North Africa. The henna powder is well known for its benefits on hair. It is practically used to colour the hair because it contains Lawsone a red-orange dye that is present in the leaves of the henna that makes hair black.
- Henna promotes hair growth as it strengthens hair follicles.
- It cures dandruff because it eliminates the excess sebum on hair.
- It conditions and softens the hair.
- Henna covers the premature greying of hair and intensifies the colour.
Amla or Indian gooseberry fruit oil is one of the best cures for black hair, it consists of vitamins A, C, and E and Vitamin B which contains minerals like magnesium, zinc, calcium, and iron that nourish hair scalp and boost hair growth. Also, amla oil provides enough oxygen that cure dryness and dandruff.
Amla Dandruff Mask
- 2 TBSP of Amla powder
- 1 pot of Greek yoghurt (plain yoghurt)
Mix the two ingredients together until you obtain a paste. Apply the mask to your hair for 30 minutes. Rinse off with shampoo.
Amla powder is also beneficial for darkening your hair colour and preventing premature greying hair
Mask to Darken Hair with Amla
- Amla powder and oil ( 1tbsp)
- 1 TBSP of coffee powder
- 1 TBSP of plain yogurt
Mix all the ingredients together and apply to your hair for 1 hour. Rinse off with shampoo.
This mask is an anti-graying treatment, it’s going to condition your hair and make it more healthy and shinier. Repeat this process when it’s necessary.